It’s officially spring, which means it’s time to soak up some sun in a fun fit! We know that grabbing a vlog-worthy haul of cheap, trendy pieces can be tempting, but that $5 shirt is $5 for a reason. Fashion is impactful, and your impact may be causing more harm than you think. Before we delve into our best planet-protecting apparel (and how you can avoid fast fashion), let’s take a peek at the facts:
Fashion production accounts for approximately 10% of global carbon dioxide output. This means that our fashion choices produce more carbon dioxide than all international flights and shipping combined! Not only that,
but those synthetic fabrics (polyester, nylon, acrylic) in your closet? The piles of shipping materials that end up in the trash? Each year, they account for a fifth of the 300 million tons of plastic produced globally.
- The apparel industry produces 150 billion garments a year. Out of that 150 billion, 40 million tons (87%) will end up in polluting landfills. If you’re wondering how many of those discarded clothes are eventually recycled…1%.
- If we don’t address and improve these conditions ASAP, fashion production will account for 26% of all carbon emissions by 2050.
- Compared to 15 years ago, the average consumer not only buys 60% more clothes, but keeps them for ½ of the time. Don’t know about you, but we’ve had relationships last longer than some fast fashion!
Okay, so you’ve got the info. You’re ready to cut back on your fast fashion consumption, but how are you gonna do it?
- Thrift! Take a chance on some well-loved pieces and upgrade your aesthetic while reducing your carbon footprint.
Support sustainable brands (like your fave, Conscious Step) and discover how your purchase leads to a positive impact. See just how we do it here & here.
- Shop for fashionable, timeless pieces. If you can’t see yourself wearing it in a year, leave it in the cart.
- Ditch the synthetics and choose natural, biodegradable materials like organic cotton, linen, or hemp. For our neurodivergent community, natural fabrics are sensory friendly!
- Show off your design skills (or gain some new ones via YouTube & other social media platforms) and flip your old fast fashion into something new. A sewing machine or just some needle & thread = magic waiting to happen.
This year, break up with fast fashion for good. A sustainable planet is a happy planet, for us and all generations to come.